Cooking can be a scary endeavor, especially for those you have never done it before. Benjamin Ambrosio, a New York City police officer, loves spending time in the kitchen but knows that even the simplest of recipes build on simple cooking techniques that are essential for creating an amazing meal. To help save you time and money in the kitchen, here are some basic cooking techniques to integrate into your everyday life.
- To reduce bacon shrinkage, run cold water over it before frying.
- When boiling eggs, add some vinegar or a little salt to the water to ensure the egg remains in the shell if it cracks.
- To ripen fruit and vegetables, place them in a brown paper bag and place the bag in a dark cupboard for a few days.
- To save time making a salad, cut iceberg lettuce into wedges instead of tearing.
- To lower the acid taste in spaghetti sauce, add a small amount of bicarbonate soda to the sauce.
- To keep corn tasting great, place it directly into boiling water for three minutes and avoid adding salt to the water.
- Freeze cheese for twenty-five minutes before grating, it will help it shred much easier.
- To make pancakes brown quicker, add a small amount of sugar to the battle.
- For a flakier pie crust, substitute one teaspoon of vinegar for one tablespoon of the cold water called for.